The DVD set is a unique compilation of the works conceived and created by Peter Bosch and Simone Simons between 1989 – 2012.
Inspired by the physicist Nikola Tesla's legendary experiments in 1896, Bosch & Simons have produced a large series of works based on vibration and resonance. They created installations in museums, at International Symposiums on Electronic Art, concert halls and international electronic music conferences around the world. They turn their extensive artistic research into complex, unpredictable systems, into pieces which are part physics experiments and part new-media installations.
“Alongside unstable balances and order and chaos, another element is sound. The pure power of sound and the pure existence of sound (music) manifest remains an integral part of the installations we create. The medium sound gives power over a specific place, it occupies that space: Our vibratory projects permit us to generate vibrations with which we can fill the space. Sound waves are after all vibrations!” (Bosch & Simons)
While working on the theme “Resonances stimulated by mechanical vibrations” their main interest was not to amplify just one existing frequency, but to create a complex system in which various frequencies influence each other. This to give rise to unstable balances, which the slightest change could disturb, enough to produce an unpredictable outcome. Mechanically produced vibrations and natural frequencies of objects are so attuned to each other that the movements and sounds created by the installations can change almost imperceptibly from order into chaos and vice versa.
1. Interview at Ars Electronica, Linz, 1998
2. Was der Wind zum Klingen bringt, Multimediale2, ZKM, Karlsruhe, 1991
3. Electric Swaying Orchestra, TARt ´91, University of Twente, Enschede, 1991
4. Trajectversterker, Rijksmuseum Twenthe, Enschede, 1993 / Vooruitgang, Argument,Tilburg, 1994
5. Krachtgever, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 1995
6. A Castle for Kobe I and IV, studio, Chelva, 1996, Universidad Politécnica, Valencia, 1999
7. Cantan un Huevo, Metrònom, Barcelona, 2001-02
8. Último Esfuerzo Rural II, Stenersen Museum, Oslo, 2004 / Metrònom, Barcelona, 2005
9. Springtime in a Small Town, KLANKENBOS, Neerpelt, 2006
10. Último Esfuerzo Rural I, Re:New, Huset i Magstraede, Copenhagen, 2008
1. Retrospective Bosch & Simons, Espace Pommier, La Tour du Pin, 2009
2. Aguas Vivas, 2003-2009
3. Bang Spring Time, Forja Arte Contemporáneo, Valencia, 2009
4. Chutes Libres du Printemps, Gare de St Sauveur, Lille, 2010
5 Bang Spring Time, Transitio, Fonoteca Nacional, Mexico-City, 2011
6 Mirlitones, Kunst Werkt, Dordtyart, Dordrecht, 2012
7. Wilberforces, Winter Sparks, FACT, Liverpool, 2012
More images are here.
Buy the entire Visionaries 21 Collection and save 10%!